I know there are more flavorful chili recipes out there. I've seen them. But with the mix I can have the chili simmering in 10 minutes and can then go do something else until dinnertime. And, with a little doctoring (what, you think I wouldn't tinker?), it's really pretty good.
- 3 lbs ground beef, turkey or a combination
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 envelopes chili seasoning (I like McCormick's but they're mostly the same - some spices, lots of salt)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (the secret ingredient for all good red chili)
- pinch of cayenne or dried red pepper
- Garnishes: crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, hot sauce, sour cream
By the way, this makes a big pot, and it tastes even better on the second, third, fourth and fifth days. After five days, freeze whatever's left for a future dinner.