Sabatino Tartufi's black summer truffles from Italy (photo: La Fuji Mama)
It's been more than a month since Trufflepalooza 2010. I've been writing up recipes, but it's taken me this long to get enough perspective to be able to summarize the event. Because it's become more than just a party to me.
Trufflepalooza is my chance to go all out. To cook for and with the wonderful friends, food bloggers and otherwise, who enrich my life every day. And to push myself in all dimensions. Can I create an original themed menu with more than a dozen recipes? Can I produce tasty food for 70, get it out of the kitchen and into people's mouths while it's still hot/cold/intact? Can I pull it off without having a heart attack, getting an ulcer, poisoning my guests, or inducing my husband to file for divorce?
Once a year, it seems that I can. With a lot of help from my friends and family. Michael, Emery, Weston, Austin, Hilary, Gisele, Adair, Lynn, Suzanne, and everyone else who sliced, diced, stirred, plated, passed - thank you. Without you, I could not.
Trufflepalooza 2010: The menu
(click for recipes where available)
- Corn veloute with freshly grated truffle
- Radish and truffle butter tartines
- Crostini with fresh ricotta, thyme and truffle honey
- Truffled egg salad
- Chilled green beans with porcini mushroom-truffle dip
- "Emery's salad" with truffle vinaigrette and crispy pancetta
- Traditional risotto with freshly grated truffle
- Roasted baby potatoes with truffle butter and parmigiano
- Truffled macaroni and cheese
- Grilled fontina and truffle on brioche
- Open-faced filet mignon sandwiches with truffle butter
- Truffle-infused Brie with truffle honey
- Truffled chocolate truffles
Thanks to all the wonderful food writers who found Trufflepalooza worth mentioning!
- Mutineer Magazine: Re-cap: Erika Kerekes' Trufflepalooza party
- Sippity Sup: Roasted potatoes with summer black truffles, truffles and more truffles
- The Santa Monica Luskeys: Trufflepalooza
- Shockingly Delicious: Radish and truffle butter tartines from Trufflepalooza 2010 - best new appetizer
- LA Party Planning Examiner: A Santa Monica "hostess with the mostess" throws her 2nd annual Trufflepalooza
- Savour Fare: Trufflepalooza 2010
- Lentil Breakdown: Nobody knows the truffles I've seen
- Family Fresh Cooking: Grilled coconut sweet potato kebabs (not a mistake, it does mention Trufflepalooza)