Today's Superfood: Beets
Betalains (a phytonutrient), folate, manganese, fiber, potassium, vitamin C
At the urging of my enthusiastic health coach Rachael Pontillo of Holistically Haute Wellness, I'm continuing to bond with my ultra-powerful Vitamix and explore the world of colorful smoothies. I haven't found a combination I like as much as french fries or mint chocolate chip ice cream, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
I learned something about beets when I made this smoothie: A little goes a long way. I didn't expect it to be such a glorious ruby red!
Click here for a list of all the recipes from Superfoods Month
Smoothie with beets
A tasty way to get your reds and greens in one healthy drink. If you like your smoothies sweet (I don't), add some honey or agave nectar.
- 1 raw beet, scrubbed but not peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 avocadoes, flesh only
- 2 bananas, peeled
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into pieces (or 1 romaine heart)
- 1 lime (cut away skin and use flesh, not just juice)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, unpeeled
- 1 cup curly or flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stems
- 2 cups water or ice cubes
Put all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately, freezing extra portions in single-serving containers.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: approximately 4 servings, depending how big your glass is